Since 1993 Setlhare has produced school textbooks for the Natural Sciences and Technology curricula. (Funding from the sale of the books was ploughed back into development and school implementation programmes.)
Science for All Grades 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 with Teacher’s Guides
These books were published by Macmillan SA and Setlhare Trust. They are not now available in paper editions but will appear in revised form as e-books.
See some sample sections:
- Science & Technology for All Grade 4 for CAPS – a sample of text for children who come from Grade 3 with little English vocabulary and low reading skills. The Grade 4 books use the science content to develop reading and language skills, because these are critical skills at this stage in a child’s development.
- Science for All Grade 9, Muthi, science and lightning – section of a chapter that explores ways to handle indigenous knowledge in the classroom. Download a discussion and part of the textbook here.
- Science for All Grade 6 When will the Moon be full? – section of the book that deals with prediction from a pattern
- Science for All Grade 6 Electricity and Energy – download here
- Science for All Grade 8 [Mothers, fathers and babies] – download here
- Science for All Grade 8 Elements, compounds and reactions – download here
- [upload Grade 7 Chapter on Mixtures; upload Chapter on sexuality education ] [upload Grade 9 Chap 13, How drug resistance develops]
Technology for all Grades 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 with Teacher’s Guides
These books were published by Macmillan SA and Setlhare Trust. They are not now available in paper editions but will appear in revised form as e-books. See sample pages here
[To upload Grade 5 project Boys, girls and boats, to go with video of boat race] [ upload Grade 7 project Babies and bags, to go with National Science Week 2009 report and paper on “Getting more from design”]
Muthi, Science and Lightning – a sourcebook for science teachers
This source book was the product of teacher workshop that followed on teachers’ interviews with learners, and inyanga and an electrical engineer. It aimed to promote curriculum development by teachers. Download here
SEP worksheets and Teachers’ Resource File
Setlhare inherited the copyright on the print materials of the Science Education Project (SEP) that did groundbreaking work in schools between 1976 and 1995. [upload]
Science Education Project worksheets for Standards 6, 7 and 8, with Teachers’ guides. See sample pages here. [upload]
Science Education Project Teacher’s Resource File for Standard 6, 7 and 8. See sample pages here. [upload]
Setlhare has produced reports on the use of textbooks and innovation issues. You find some of these under the RESEARCH tab.