Science Teaching Alive workshop materials, written by Peter Moodie for the Solon Foundation, complement the Brian Gray videos on the website www.scienceteachingalive.com. This website is maintained by Kate Gray, Tom Gray and the Solon Foundation. The materials are free to download. Each “How to teach” video is accompanied by notes for teacher group leaders, plus notes for teachers to take away from the meeting, and suggestions that teachers can use to create worksheets in the meeting.
Zero-cost Science – for the South African Association of Science and Technology Educators (SAASTE). DVD and book available at R25 to cover postage. Download the table of contents here. And the whole book (about 2.7 MB) here. Write to us if you want the DVD; it shows the teachers presenting their ideas.
Study guides on Space and weather science for primary school teachers starting a distance learning course, offered by the University of Pretoria This material is copyright of the University of Pretoria The course was based on a textbook Conceptual Integrated Science, Hewitt et al
Mindset Network – A teachers’ guide to teaching NCS Technology Setlhare scripted and consulted on the filming.
These videos are available here from Setlhare, by permission of Mindset.
Engaging with technological knowledge – a new approach https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKU52SBMzgw
Technology and design https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KNhL4Kwba7o
Making and the practical facilitation skills in technology https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tC8_ggeR7Dw
Evaluation and assessment in technology https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mmaEFfJCo4s
Planning and preparation for technology projects https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GkxO4D0LqFo
Mindset Network Shoestring Science and Technology – Simple apparatus for teaching the following topics of
• Waves – The video title comes up as “Straw machine”. For a quick how-to-set-up-the-apparatus, click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xofh40E_Lg&index=5&list=PLOaNAKtW5HLSPRu-tzC1zhjjluuktLVAJ and for the full video of 15 minutes, do the same for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxamXKyNdI&index=6&list=PLOaNAKtW5HLSPRu-tzC1zhjjluuktLVAJ (These videos need a final edit but they still show you some useful ideas for lessons)
• solar cookers For a quick how-to-set-it-up, click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3ijmhH9vWo&index=11&list=PLOaNAKtW5HLSPRu-tzC1zhjjluuktLVAJ and for the full video of 9 minutes, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2kASNPiJm4&index=12&list=PLOaNAKtW5HLSPRu-tzC1zhjjluuktLVAJ&spfreload=10
• Change of state For the quick intro to apparatus, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1e88Ni00xU&index=13&list=PLOaNAKtW5HLSPRu-tzC1zhjjluuktLVAJ and for the full video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn-4AX2pzuQ&list=PLOaNAKtW5HLSPRu-tzC1zhjjluuktLVAJ&index=14
- electric circuits and switches —
Mindset Network Grades 10 and 11 Physical Science – content development by Setlhare Trust
• Electromagnetic radiation Grade 10 The series guide and videos are at http://learn.mindset.co.za/resources/physical-sciences/grade-10/electromagnetic-radiation
• Vectors in two dimensions, Grade 11 Link to the series guide and videos at http://learn.mindset.co.za/resources/physical-sciences/grade-11/vectors-2-dimensions
• 2D and 3D wave fronts, Grade 11 (About light and diffraction of light) Link to the series guide and the videos at http://learn.mindset.co.za/resources/physical-sciences/grade-11/2d-and-3d-wave-fronts